Conner loves to swing
He thought the monkey bars were pretty cool too
He's already doing pull-ups
He thinks he's all that whenever he sleeps on his back
We went to a fall carnival put on by some big church there. We were debating on whether to do that or go to the river and I'm so glad we ended up going because I really wanted to do some kind of pumpkin/fall activity with Conner and it ended up being the only thing we did. (I was planning on taking him to one in Prescott but we got asked to speak in church last minute and spent that day writing talks instead of enjoying the fall fun.) Conner likes anything outside so he had a great time.
Benson, Conner and Kaylee
In the hay maze
Conner is thinking, "Why the heck is this thing white!" Because he knows all the colors ;)
We also went to a camel farm but didn't have our camera for that one. The boys fed some goats, I couldn't believe that Conner didn't even care when the goat ate right off his hand. However, he did NOT like the honking geese. Thanks for the great visit Tolmans!
Next came Halloween but you wouldn't know it at our house. Neither Cade nor I care for Halloween, but I was going to try to get into the spirit of things for Conner's sake. But then it didn't appear that there would be a Trunk or treat, our friends cancelled their party, and I wasn't about to take a kid who can't talk trick or treating so I decided not to buy a costume for him. At the last minute though the trunk or treat was back on so figured I would put a costume together. The day before Halloween I tried to put 2 different costumes together but they didn't work out. I had to work Halloween so I figured Conner would sleep right when we got home and I could get my final idea ready. Unfortunately he didn't cooperate and refused to take a nap until 5 (and at that point he desperately needed it) and the trunk or treat was at 5:30. Cade was out of town and there was no way I was going to deal with that beast by myself so I let him sleep right through it and never even got a costume together to take a picture.
Then came my gum business. As you may recall my gums are super thin and have receded alot. The periodontist had informed me that I needed to get gum grafting done on 10 of my bottom teeth immediately, basically all the way across except for the molars. Normally they take the tissue from the roof of your mouth to put it on your gums but he said I didn't have enough there either. So they got it from a cadaver!! So disgusting. I mean this isn't something you don't see or feel, its in my mouth, where my tongue touches. So right this moment I am licking part of a dead body. (P.S. Thank you kind soul who donated your body.) Anyway, the procedure ended up not being as bad as I thought it would be. The good thing about using someone else's tissue is that you don't go through the pain of having it taken off of yourself. It only took about an hour and a half and after many numbing shots (which he said I tolerated very well ;) I was good to go. They didn't tell me what they were doing so I'm not totally sure. All I saw was the assistant suctioning out blood for the first half. Then I saw the periodontist lay a rectangular piece of white tissue down and he started sewing. By the time it was done the dead tissue was already red again. The whole thing is really pretty weird. I asked where on the body the tissue comes from, but the periodontist said they don't tell them anything about it or whether its from a man or a woman so there isn't any bias. I'll put on some pictures since I have had requests, they aren't disgusting but a very ugly view so don't scroll down if you don't want to.
What is that, a horse? No, just me pulling my lip down to show my huge teeth. My gumline is a few millimeters lower than it should be.
This is right afterwards. My mouth is completely numb and I wasn't supposed to pull on it at all so I couldn't get a great view.
It was funny on the drive home because I looked down and my shirt was soaked. I had been drooling buckets and had no idea because I was so numb.
Just some blood accumulating later in the day.
I was on a "no chew" diet for a few days. I couldn't believe how fast I got tired of that. I don't care much for yogurt, oatmeal, or soups so after one round of each of those I had had enough. I have a new respect for the patients that I see that are on puree diets. I'm still on a soft diet for another couple of weeks and just keep dreaming of eating pizza. Its crazy how much you want something just because you can't have it. Besides the food, the recovery wasn't bad at all. I only needed pain meds the day of, after that it just felt like muscle aches but not actual pain.
And now my mouth looks like this. What a nice new gumline for a mere $7200, Merry Christmas to me. You can see all the stitches between my teeth, I'm still waiting for those to come out.













7 comments:
Sounds like you had a fun time in Yuma, that park looks awesome! I don't like Halloween that much either, but it was kind of fun watching Shad get so excited about it. Maybe next year Conner will care, and you will like it a little more.
Conner does not look like a baby anymore! He is a little kid. It makes me sad how they grow up so fast...
And I'm glad your gums aren't hurting you. It looks like it would be very painful.
I am sorry to say that your expensive oral problems have a strange similarity to mine. Come to think of it we are both the third child of Rodgers men and we are both SLP's, and our mouths are very valuable and we are both the prettiest in our families! Imagine that!
wow! i have so many jokes going through my head right now - but i will just keep them to myself.
i am glad the recovery process was better than you had expected!
Looked like a fun time in Yuma. The teeth and gum pictures were educational. Thanks for sharing them with us. I hope I don't have to have it done, it still looked a little painful.
Ouch!! And on top of that....I can't believe how much dental work costs. Yikes!! Caryn- WE are the prettiest...am I right? ...so I guess WE have the most in common. :) Your baby is a doll....he keeps getting cuter and cuter!!! :)
What straight, pretty, white teeth you have. I could never show off pics of my mouth like that! I should have looked at your blog before emailing you yesterday. I asked you a lot of questions that you wrote about on your blog! Glad to hear that all went well. With your restricted diet, I think you should treat yourself to ice cream and pudding a couple times a day! And thanks for coming to visit! We had a great time. I'll have to send you pics from the camel farm. Luckily they are still on our camera, so they weren't lost when our computer crashed.
Post a Comment